Cold season

Being sick blows! No boxing, no gym, no Shutter. I did watch a ridiculous amount of Food Network though.

It's nice to finally be able to get paid days off, but I'm not looking forward to the work that will be waiting for me after missing just one day. I would take another day off, but that would give me too much anxiety. We have a tiny staff, so each of us has a lot of responsibilities. I already received two calls today from my boss because she had some questions.

I made some feel-better soup last night, inspired by my stuffy nose and a pile of vegetables that needed to be used up before the next CSA box. It contains 2 kinds of fingerling potatoes, sweet potato, kale, carrots, leeks, onions, garlic, cabbage, and alphabet pasta.



I also broke open a pomelo that had been sitting around for a while. It looks much better than it tasted, because it was kind of dry.



Today, out of boredom, I baked another batch of raspberry coconut muffins, this time with whole wheat pastry flour. (And yes, the first batch was already gone in less than 48 hours.) I think I prefer the cake-like taste of the all-purpose, but these are still pretty good, and probably a little bit better for me.



I've eaten nothing but soup and muffins all day. And some french fries I discovered in the freezer. That's healthy, right?

7 comments:

Animal-Friendly said...

Oh...sorry to hear that you're sick. At least you got some decent food out of it, right?

Those muffins look delicious and I'm definitely going to try them! Do you think maybe half whole wheat and half all-purpose flour might work?

mel said...

I think that would work just fine. Let me know how they turn out!

Anonymous said...

Hope you feel better soon!
Those muffins look quite scrumptious. I love coconut and raspberry and I can't wait to make them.

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

When you're sick, any food is acceptable! I hope you recover quickly!

Salt Water said...

Raspberries grow like weeds here. We make jam and love it, but these look like something special. We will give them a try. Thanks. We are trying vegan foods these day, but find it tricky. We had beans last night without chicken bouillon. We added 3 mild peppers, but they still missed something. We like red beans with flavor, any advise?

Salt Water said...

I forgot to say, I found your site via a favorite book link "The Culture Of Makebelieve". Did you manage to finish the book? Have you met the author? He is an amazingly nice person considering the ugliness of the subjects he has written about.

mel said...

Salt - I would love to have raspberries that grow like weeds! Have you tried cooking the beans in vegetable stock? There are also a number of vegetable-based bouillons on the market that you could use just as you would the chicken ones.

I somehow managed to finish Culture in just two days. I was really engrossed by his writing style and the subject matter. There are aspects of the book I don't agree with (the kind of stuff he gets more into in Endgame), but it's still one of my favorite reads. I've seen him talk, but never met him.